Tuesday, September 27, 2011

spaghetti squash

I've seen this veggie roaming around blogland lately. Until last week I had never eaten it or even seen it before in my life. It just so happened that it was on sale a few weeks ago in our local grocery store and I decided to venture out and give it a try.






Guess what? I'm in love and will DEFINITELY make it again.

Here's what you do:

1. Cut this bad boy in half. It looks like a pumpkin on the inside so scrap out the seeds and stringy things.

2. Wrap each half in saran wrap and pop each half in the microwave for 6 minutes.

3. Unwrap the squash and take a fork and scrape it out. The insides will be spaghetti like.

We served it with our favorite sauce - grandma's homemade spaghetti sauce:





Ingredients:
1 onion
1 green pepper
1 celery stalk
1 Tbs. minced garlic
3-4 Tbs. olive oil
2 lbs. ground hamburger
2 Tbs. Italian seasoning
8 - 15oz cans of tomato sauce
3 - 6oz cans of tomato paste

Directions:
1. Cook meat in skillet with Italian seasoning.
2. Add onion, green pepper, celery, garlic, and oil.
3. Once cooked thoroughly place in large pot with sauce and paste.
4. Cook all afternoon.

Makes about 6 quarts



Try something new and give it a try!



Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. That looks DELICIOUS right now! Maybe it's because it's almost dinner time and I'm starving. I do love me some good spaghetti sauce that's passed the grandma test, so thanks for sharing! I'll be making this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spaghetti squash!! And I wrote down your sauce recipe, thanks! :)

    As for stealing the bun in the oven idea - steal away! (Isn't that what blogs are for anyway?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this thing in my dreams too i want to have this..

    Nice post.

    Visit my blog: fast cash 1000

    ReplyDelete